Thursday, June 17, 2010

OAT CAKES





**So I got this recipe from a blog that I absolutely love called tiny-morsels, and she actually got it from one of my other favorite blogs called the happy foody. I made these yesterday and absolutely love them! They are yummy and way easy. Anything is good on top of them although I really like sour cream, brown sugar, and blackberries or blueberries. They are also good with just butter and syrup or butter and powdered sugar. The tiny-morsel lady said that her daughters favorite is almond butter and syrup, sounds yummy to me but i am out of almond butter!

Just a heads up: these ARE NOT like the fluffy pancakes you get at IHOP. These are dense little cakes, with more texture. And they taste like a bowl of oatmeal. Also, since they don't contain any flour, they don't knock-you-out and drag-you-down like traditional pancakes do (Nobody needs that, especially first thing in the morning).

2 cups rolled oats
2 cups milk
2 large eggs
2 tbsp. melted butter
1/2 tsp. fine grain sea salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
coconut oil (for cooking) (I just used butter)
*the recipe doesnt call for it but i put in about 1/4 tsp. of vanilla**
  • Use a food processor (I used my blender) to grind the oats to a flour-like consistency.
  • Mix the ground oats with the milk, cover, and let the mixture soak
    overnight (12-24 hours).
  • Stir in the eggs, butter, salt, baking powder, and cinnamon. Mix well.
  • Cook over medium/low heat. Oat cakes take longer to cook than regular pancakes, and burn easily, so go slow.

No comments: