Friday, February 11, 2011

spaghetti and turkey meatballs


I am not a big fan of meatballs in any form. I have had some at an amazing restaurant called Al Forno's in Salt Lake City. I have to say, this recipe rivaled theirs! It may be that I haven't had it in a long time and don't remember, but this was so good!
I also did alot of this by sight so I will try to give as close as amounts as I can!

*Made about 20 small meatballs. (just smaller than a golf ball)

About 1/2 lb. ground turkey
1/2 small onion minced
1 t. dried oregano
1/2 t. italian seasoning
Salt (I did about a teaspoon, could do more. my sauce is very salty so I didn't over do it)
Fresh ground Pepper
1/2 of 1 whipped egg
about 1/4 c. plain bread crumbs
Splash of Heavy Cream (probably about 2-3 T)

Mix all together and form balls to desired size. Heat 1/4 c. olive oil and 1 T. butter in a pan over med heat. Once heated, dust meatballs in flour and place in pan. Brown meatballs on 2 sides over med high heat. (1-2 min on each side) *Remember, this is only to brown the meatballs. they don't need to be cooked all the way through*
Once browned, take out of pan and put on a paper towel to drain for a second, then put meatballs into simmering pasta sauce. Let simmer for 10 min or so.

For sauce: I used my own bottled sauce which is this recipe; Uncle Scott's Pasta Sauce
So good! I love it. But you could make some on the spot, or use your favorite. but the sauce is the key!!!

Once pasta, I used linguine, is cooked, drain. DO NOT RINSE PASTA!! Put hot pasta back in pot and add sauce and meatballs. sprinkle desired amount of parm cheese and mix all together.

***Makes incredible meatball subs the next day!! I made them with baguettes!

No comments: