Monday, September 11, 2017
Russian Potato Soup
This is a yummy, flavorful soup that is great in the winter. Enjoy!
· 1 lb. Spicy Italian Sausage- Looks like hamburger package
· Approx. 3 large potatoes
· 1/2 pound fresh portabella mushrooms, cut in larger chunks
· 1 cup chopped carrots
· 3 chopped leeks (mostly the lighter area on the bottom) or 1 cup green onions
· 6 cups chicken broth
· 3 tablespoons butter
· 2 tablespoons olive oil
· 1 quart half and half
· ¼ cup chopped dill (fresh) plus extra for garnish
· Salt, Pepper, and a little garlic powder to taste
1. Melt 3 tbsp butter in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the carrots, leeks or green onion and sauté 5-7 minutes.
2. Add 6 cups chicken broth. Season with salt, pepper, and dill.
3. Add the chopped potatoes – cover and cook for 15 - 20 minutes. Potatoes should be firm but tender.
4. In a separate skillet brown sausage and add to soup pot. I pour the grease in for extra flavor but you can drain it for less fat option.
5. Wipe out pan and add 2 tbsp of olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add mushrooms and sauté for 3 to 5 minutes until they are lightly browned. Add to soup pot.
6. Slowly stir half-and-half into the soup and heat.