Friday, July 6, 2018

Mom's Basic Smoothie


Ingredients:

Organic dark leafy greens are the king of alkalization so it's good to find ways to incorporated them into your diet. Including smoothies. They give your body folate, they burn fat, are anti-aging, help your heart, feed your telomeres (the little tails on our DNA chromosome), fight diabetes, feed your gut, provide sun protection, protect against toxins, and build enzymes.
I use as many greens in season as I can. Some of the greens I like in a smoothie are:
Spinach - With spinach, you want to get the protein coating off of the iron cell if you are needing iron in your diet. In order to do this, put about 1 - 2 inches of water in the bottom of your blender (Vitamix or Blendtec) put in a large hand full of spinach and blend until it becomes warm. Bringing the spinach up to temperature dissolves the protein coating which then frees up the iron. Once it is warm, pour in some ice to bring down the temperature and then you can add the rest of your ingredients.
I always put as many greens and vegetables in my smoothie as I can.  (I have a secret....if you add citrus, it will kill the grass taste.)
Cabbage
Dandelion Greens
Swiss Chard
Bok Choy
Kale
Beet Greens
Beets
Carrots
Celery
Cucumber
Avocado

Once I finish adding my desired vegetables, I add one, some, or many of the following:

Ginger
Almonds
Flax seeds
Chia seeds
Hemp seeds
Cinnamon
Tummeric
Raw honey
Coconut oil - Organic, raw, extra virgin, cold pressed
Almond butter
Peanut butter
Cacao
Kefir

I then add fruits. The ratio of my smoothies is higher in greens than in fruits i.e. -  1/2-3/4 are veggies and the remainder is fruit.

Limes
Lemons
Oranges
Apples
Peaches
Apricots
Bananas
Berries (all kinds)
Grapes
Melon

Side notes:

When you put beets in your smoothie, add citrus, grapes, and or berries to it to kill the beet taste.

Use organic ingredients.

If you have a pure, organic, healthy protein powder, you can add that too. We like the vanilla as an overall favorite flavor in our smoothies. However, chocolate protein powder is delicious in red smoothies.

Add ice, if needed, and blend everything together to make a yummy, healthy smoothie.  Enjoy!

FOR A NON SWEET SMOOTHIE
Blend:
Tomatoes
Cucumbers
Celery
Spinach
Chard
Cilantro (optional)
Basil (optional)
Ginger
Carrots
Lime
Lemon
Red pepper flakes (optional)

This tastes more like a V-8 juice without the basil and cilantro.





1 comment:

Emma said...

I tried this smoothie and it is very tasty. Thanks for sharing. I always try some new easy healthy smoothie recipes from satisfying smoothies. You can also try from this.