Tuesday, August 25, 2009

"Whatever you have in the fridge" Stuffed Zucchini





So I am going to put everything that I used but like all of britt's recipes add,take away or substitute for whatever. I did not know what to make the other night. I remembered as I was looking through my fridge that I had seen a recipe online for stuffed zucchini. I had a HUGE zucchini from the farmers market that was still good but really needed to use. Although the recipe was a vegetarian. Dont get me wrong, I absoluteley love vegetarian meals but i wanted something a little more. So I kind of made up my own thing but took a bunch of ideas from a few different stuffed zucchini recipes. It turned out really yummy so i thought i would post it. Let me know if you have any ideas to make it better.

1 large zucchini
Clean zucchini. Trim ends slightly so you have a level end to stand the zucchini upright and cut of f the top lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds. Lay it cut side up in a lightly greased baking dish. I sezsoned mine with whatever my little heart desired at the moment....
Italian Seasoning
Basil
plenty of Rosemary
Salt
Pepper
Dash of Red Pepper Flakes
a LITTLE bit of crushed garlic smeared on the inside edges
Drizzle a little bit more than a tsp of EVOO (sorry i wanted to feel like Rachel Ray for just a second there)

cover and bake by itself at 425 for 20 minutes.

FILLING
Saute:
1 medium sized onion, chopped
4 stalks of celery, chopped
1 cup chopped carrots
(any veggies would be great!)
When tender season (again with whatever you want) I used alot of the same spices i used on the zucchini
Set Veggies aside in bowl
In same pan cook ground turkey(or chicken,beef...or bread crumbs for vegetarian.) Now be careful you dont over cook it. If you do it becomes dry. I know this from experience.
season when mostly cooked(italian seasoning, salt, pepper, basil, oregano, ...just a few shakes of everything.)
Then add veggies to pan and mix together.

After the 20 mins of baking the zucchini Turn the oven down to 350.

Fill your zucchini with the stuffing, piling it high.
Cover and bake for 20 minutes.

*Now as I did this, one recipe said to uncover after the 20 mins and bake for 10-20. I did this and it made it pretty dry. So to fix my problem I opened up a can of diced tomatoes and seasoned them up and nuked them in the microwave. We poured it on top and it was yummy. Although I took it to have for lunch today and I added the tomato mixture on top before I heated it up and it was so so yummy. It made it more moist and gave the seasonings a chance to "settle in." I dont really know what Im talking about but I liked it a lot better today than I did last night. So I think next time I make it I will make the tomato mixture and bake it with it. Let me know if you have any ideas. Sorry this is more like a blog post than just a recipe... But we had this with this REALLY yummy spinach salad called Almond & Orange Spinach salad. I will post that recipe too.

No comments: