Thursday, May 5, 2011

Chayote Italian Sausage Soup

Ingredients
I think that I left out one ingredient - chicken stock - and I think that that it might be 6 cups. Hmmm. Sorry. The next time I make this, I will experiment with it. This is one of Jeff's all time favorite soups, so I am so bummed that I missed part of the recipe.

2 Italian sausage links
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 chayote squashes, seeded and chopped
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced
1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup frozen corn
1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
1 teaspoon chili powder
salt and pepper to taste
Directions

Place a large saucepan over medium-high heat; cook the sausage in the skillet until browned; remove the sausage to a plate lined with paper towels. Add the olive oil. onion, and garlic to the skillet; cook and stir until the onions are translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. Return the sausage to the pan along with the chayote squash and jalapeno peppers; cook and stir until the squash begins to soften, 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, black beans, corn, thyme, and chili powder; season with salt and pepper. Cook until completely heated through, about 10 minutes more.

Instead of Italian sausage you can use 1 lb of ground turkey. Be careful not to overcook the chayote.

1 comment: