Friday, May 6, 2011

Steel Cut Oats


After years of mom telling me about steel cut oats and how much she loves them, I finally bought some. I gave up on eating hot oatmeal. I ate it for a while, knowing it was good for me, but it was just hard to swallow...literally. I know that steel cut oats are much better for you and they are so so so much more yummy. (horrible english, I know) Not mushy and it has texture that is so easy to eat. Anyway, so maybe it's easy to remember how to cook them, but the way my brain is working lately, I need to write it down somewhere.

1/2 c. steel cut oats
1 cup milk
3/4 c. water

*Bring to the milk and water to just the start of a boil and stir in the oats, and turn the heat down to simmer. (low)
Cook for 15 min and add:

1 T. Maple syrup (or 2 if you aren't adding any other sweet things after it's cooked)

Cook for another 15 min ish until it's the texture you like.

I made sauteed apples to go on mine and it was delicious!! (chop apples, add to melted butter and brown sugar and a dash of cinnamon) I was wishing I had some pecans to chop up and put in too!

No comments: