Sunday, January 8, 2012

Scallion meatballs with Soy Ginger Glaze

from smitten kitchen

Sauce
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup soy sauce, preferably Japanese or reduced sodium
1/2 cup mirin (sweet rice wine), or 1/2 cup sake with 1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup peeled, chopped ginger (I used half and it tasted like plenty to me; adjust to your preference)
1 teaspoon ground coriander
4 whole black peppercorns (no, I did not count how many I put in there)

Meatballs
1 pound ground turkey
4 large or 6 small scallions, finely chopped
Half bunch cilantro, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup) (the cilantro-averse can use flat-leaf parsley)
1 large egg
2 tablespoons sesame oil, toasted if you can find it
2 tablespoons soy sauce
Freshly ground black pepper
Vegetable oil


Make sauce and you can make ahead if you want. I cut the sugar in the sauce and it turned out runny not glaze like. So if you want to have it more glaze leave full sugar and only use as much as you want.

Roll turkey into balls and fry in fry pan. I browned mine and then put them in a crock pot with the sauce for 2 hours. But I would not recommend leaving in the crockpot longer. it will over power the meatball flavor.

I served it with rice and broccoli.

No comments: